I will fool you

Nothing fools you like yourself. Great deceivers know this best. This reminds me of a story:


Tamerlane loved to cheat people and he was proud of his ruses. One evening at the court feast, after many drinks of arak, he remembered how in his youth he feigned dying, to appease a dangerous enemy:

“Shah-Mansur sent me ambassadors to size me up. Before their entry I had a lamb slaughtered and drank its blood. Then I called them in and in front of a multitude I had a copper vessel brought and vomited out the lamb’s blood. The ambassadors left delighted and reported prince Shah-Mansur that I was a dying man. Two days later I surprised him with my army. I tell you: I can fool anyone but no one can fool me!”

Nasreddin’s somewhat cheeky voice interrupted:

“Maybe I could do it…if it pleases your Majesty.”
“Would you dare?!”
“I have to, great Emir. I am your fool. My work is to fool. I will do my work for my master. As I am your fool I can fool you.”
“No one lies to me without dying.” growled Timur.
“Then I will fool you, without lying to you, even this night, before sunrise if you order so,” tempted Nasreddin .

Tamerlane became intrigued enough to take the bet:

“Be it! Try your luck tonight!”

That night the great Emir doubled his already unsurpassable guard and slept like a rabbit anxious to catch the devious Hodja trying to fool him – him, Master of all ruses.

Nothing happened until the sun was well above the horizon.
Tired and disappointed Timur had Hodja carried and cast at his feet:

“Where was you fooling, worm!?”

Nasreddin bowed respectfully:

“I promised to fool you, Majesty. Didn’t I?”
“You promised.”
“And I didn’t fool you. Did I”
“You didn’t.”
“But your Highness waited all night to be fooled. Is that so?”
“It is.”
“And nothing happened. Is that right?”
“It is.”
“So, without doing anything,  I fooled you, didn’t I?”
“Hmm…”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bibliography of Nasruddin story books and publications

Stone soup