Friday 28 December 2007

Nothing

Things that do not exist have an enormous potential; unhindered by fact, everything becomes possible. to imaginary problems you can impart imaginary solutions, at will. Moreover, the non existent is indistructible and forever reliable. Build your castles in imaginary, intangible realms and you will never be proven wrong. This reminds me of a story:


When Hodja was a cadi, two peasants came to plead their case.

The first one was very convinced of his right:

“This man was carrying a big load of dry wood. He lost balance and fell. The wood spread all around him. As I was near him, he asked me for help. I asked him what he would give me for the assistance.

“Nothing.” he answered.

I agreed: “All right, I will do it for nothing.”

I gathered with him all the fallen wood and then put it on his back. When we got to his home I asked him to pay me nothing but he refused. It is my right though. I demand to be paid as agreed.”

The second man confessed that indeed he did agree to pay nothing, so that there was nothing to pay and this is why he refused to pay something that was nothing at all.

Nasrudin considered the case with his usual determination to impart justice:

“Given word must be kept. You helper, come forth!

He pointed to the small rug in front of his chair:

“Lift the rug and tell me what you see under it!”

The man did and said:

“Nothing.”

“Perfect, “said Hodja “now take the nothing and go your way.”

No comments: